Monday, February 27, 2012
On Work......
I adore Ogden Nash. Of all the poetry I love, his work is the one place where I can always be amused. And since I'm actually working quite hard right now I am letting him do the writing for me.
When people aren't asking questions
They're making suggestions
And when they're not doing one of those
They're either looking over your shoulder or stepping on your toes
And then as if that weren't enough to annoy you
They employ you.
Anybody at leisure
Incurs everybody's displeasure.
It seems to be very irking
To people at work to see other people not working,
So they tell you that work is wonderful medicine,
Just look at Firestone and Ford and Edison,
And they lecture you till they're out of breath or something
And then if you don't succumb they starve you to death or something.
All of which results in a nasty quirk:
That if you don't want to work you have to work to earn enough extra money so that you won't have to work.
Ogden Nash
Copyright © by Linell Nash Smith and Isabel Nash Eberstadt
: )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
At Home with Ms. G.
(7)
Biggest Stories
(1)
Breaking My Own Rules
(4)
Bursts of Enthusiasm
(9)
Cheesy Goodness
(3)
FRUSTRATION
(6)
Go USA
(5)
Happy Thoughts
(1)
Hormone Holidays
(1)
I HATE JULY
(1)
Indelible
(10)
Just Don't
(3)
Littlestisms
(6)
Middlest Moment
(3)
Middlest Stories
(1)
No. I'm Not Drunk.
(2)
Now That's Bad Poetry
(2)
observation
(3)
Oh Hell It's Spring.
(2)
Sad Facts
(8)
Scream Stop
(6)
she's posting music videos again
(22)
there she is with the kids again
(5)
Unrequested sharing of limited talents
(1)
What's Wrong With Your Kids Again?
(2)
Work? What?
(9)
Yay Weather
(2)
You hear that Elizabeth I'm comin to join you Honey
(1)
You know it is...
(2)
All work and no play... (you know the rest)
ReplyDeleteDon't work too hard!
"quirk" (ahem), indeed... :-)
ReplyDelete